Where Adventure Meets Local
Towering peaks, deep valleys, and a rich culture appeal to the adventurous, what else does it mean to Experience Amdo Tibet?
Farmers | Nomads | Temples | Trails
Amdo Tibet combines the best cultural elements of Tibetan farming and nomadic communities with important monastic centers and a growing number of opportunities to experience trails for hiking and biking as well as some of China’s most notable national parks.
The Adventure Access Amdo Overland Experience weaves all of these rich experiences into a single narrative where the traveler can become a part of the local story and experience exhilarating adventure combined with deep local encounters. Our experienced guides know how and where to combine these elements to give the traveler a seamless approach to one of the most incredible parts of the Tibetan Plateau.
To travel overland through Amdo is to respond to the call to experience the whole of Tibet.
Travel through vast Tibetan regions, visit monasteries, experience local customs and food. Hike, bike, visit National Parks, or slow down by adding a night at a Tibetan Home Stay.
Route Highlights and Options
Lanzhou / Xining
Begin your overland journey from Lanzhou or Xining. These two cities are the collection point to begin your experience with our guides.
- Tour Labrang Monastery
- Day hike around and above the monastery with our guides for the best photo locations
- Learn more about Xiahe here
- Kirti Monastery
- Sertri Monastery
- Namo Gorge Hiking
- Learn more about Langmusi here
- Muni Valley National Park
- The Muni Valley Guided Tour
- Cycling in Muni Valley
- Mount Zhaga
- 2-3 day climbs for an intro to mountaineering
- Niri Valley
- Day hike to Shangniba Monastery
- Mountain Biking in Songpan
- Xuebaoding and Shanglami Village
- 3-7 day hikes to Shanglami and Mount Xuebaoding Basecamp
- Huanglong National Park
- Guided Tours for Huanglong National Park
- Check here to know more about biking tours operated in Songpan
- Food Tours
- Experience a food tour with our partners at Lost Plate Food Tours
- Self guided experience at the city’s Giant Panda Research Base
- Museums and City Sites
- Self-Guided Tours to see the city highlights.
2020 Amdo Overland Experiences
- Spring: Waiting List Only
- Summer: June 15 – June 28, 2020
- Fall: September 7 – September 20, 2020