Not finding your answer below? Want to talk to a real person? Please use the live chat/ messaging button in the bottom right and we will get in contact with you soon.

    When is the best time to visit the Tibetan Plateau?

    Areas of Eastern Tibet have their charm in every season, but the best time for biking, hiking, and trekking is usually from May to October. You can view our average temperature chart for Songpan, Jiuzhaigou, Langmusi, etc. here. Also check out our latest blog posts about traveling to Tibet in winter and what to pack for winter trips. 


    在不同的季节,藏区都有不同的好玩的体验。如果您想去骑山地车、爬山和徒步,最佳季节是5月到10月。您可以参考松潘平均气温表traveling to Tibet in winterwhat to pack for winter trips来获取更多相关信息。

    What is the altitude of Eastern Tibet?

    Approximate elevations are as follows:
    Songpan stands at 9,406 ft (2,867m)
    Jiuzhaigou varies significantly with some areas as low as 4,593 ft (1,400m)
    Yellow River and the Ruo Er Gai Grasslands: 11,253 ft (3,430m)
    Langmusi: 10,909 ft (3,325m)
    Xiahe (Labrang): 9675 ft (2,950m)


    松潘-9,406 ft (2,867m)
    九寨沟不同区域的海拔差异较大,最低海拔为 4,593 ft (1,400m)
    黄河和若尔盖草原: 11,253 ft (3,430m)
    郎木寺: 10,909 ft (3,325m)
    夏河(拉卜楞寺): 9675 ft (2,950m)

    Are Adventure Access activities difficult for normal people or must one be a professional?

    Did you know the largest group of adventure travelers (41 percent) are between the ages of 50-70? Although the altitudes are relatively high in many parts of the Tibetan Plateau, we offer a range of transformative experiences for people of all levels. Look for this information on every hiking/trekking and biking page to find the right tour for you:

    For an immersive cultural experience in Eastern Tibet without high difficulty levels, check out our Nomad Experience. Our mountain biking experiences also range from entry level to advanced.



    Are trips to Tibet suitable for families? How old should my kids be to join in your trips?

    Adventure Access was founded by a family with young kids and is still operated by families with kids of all ages. Not every activity is suitable for kids, but plenty of options are available for families of all sizes and ages. 

    Every visitor to the Tibetan Plateau should plan at least one less strenuous day at the beginning of their trip to acclimatize. This is especially true for younger travelers. For families with children between the ages of seven to twelve, we recommend activities in and around Songpan such as Niri Valley. Families with children of all ages enjoy Muni Valley, Huanglong and Jiuzhaigou National Parks. Every family is different and the fitness level of your children is a very important factor. Please contact us today for specific recommendations for your family.



    If my plans change, can I get a refund?

    Our booking and cancellation policy can be found here.



    How many days do I need to enjoy Eastern Tibet? Can I make a weekend trip?

    Ideally, you need at least 3 nights to visit from a gateway city like Chengdu. A standard weekend limits transformational experiences on the Tibetan Plateau. We encourage all travelers to plan at least one less strenuous day at the beginning of their trip to adjust to the elevation. We do have long-weekend itineraries we can suggest for travelers from Chengdu to visit Songpan or Jiuzhaigou.



    Which itinerary/activities are right for me?

    Adventure Travel is defined as the intersection between nature, activity, and meaningful cultural interaction. Identifying which is most important to you will help you select the right option. 

    If your greatest desire is to experience Tibetan culture, we recommend the Nomad Experience and Amdo Overland Experience. 

    If you are a thrill seeker, consider mountain biking. For a slower challenge with impressive views, try climbing a mountain on one of our overnight treks.



    Do you lead trips to Lhasa, Everest, Shangri-la, Lijiang, etc...?

    Put simply, the Amdo region of the Tibetan Plateau is home for us. It is where our friends and family are. It is the language we speak. And this means you benefit the most by traveling to this region with us. 

    Additionally, all foreigners traveling to the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) must obtain a Tibet Travel Permit (TTP). It is an additional document that must be obtained from a travel agent within China to visit or travel through the TAR. Because of this, and the additional regulations on travel in the TAR, it is difficult to provide the same level of authentic Tibetan experiences as in Tibetan areas outside of the TAR. That is why we focus on Eastern Tibet areas of Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai.

    For more information on traveling to the TAR vs Eastern Tibet, see our blog article on this topic.



    Why are your trips a better experience than others? What sets Adventure Access apart from the competition?

    We operate our experiences from within the region. Our operations base is on the Tibetan Plateau. Our ethnically diverse staff helps bridge the gap between you and the local culture. We bring expertise to the experiences and activities we offer. 



    Should I expect altitude sickness when traveling to the Tibetan Plateau?

    Do not assume you will get altitude sickness. We’ve seen plenty of people who “think” they have altitude sickness and take medicine preventatively or unnecessarily.  Most often, this is all in peoples’ heads. 

    Proper acclimatization is the most important step and we factor this into all our itineraries. At a minimum our guides are trained in Wilderness First Aid and some are Wilderness First Responders. Altitude related illnesses are something we are aware of and keep a close eye on. 

    We do not recommend medicine to treat mild altitude sickness. That said, we are not your doctor so please consult a physician if you believe you have any risks related to travel on the Tibetan Plateau. 



    What should I pack for traveling to Eastern Tibet?

    If you are hiking or trekking read here. If you are biking, read here. If it is winter, please read here.



    What gear does Adventure Access provide?

    If you are hiking or trekking with Adventure Access, it depends on the length of the itinerary. If it is a day hike, we will provide water purifiers and trekking poles. If it is an overnight camping itinerary we will also provide items such as tents, camping pads, sleeping bags, and cooking equipment. You must bring your own pack. It needs to be large enough to carry equipment that belongs to Adventure Access. Our guides are not porters. They will not be able to carry your tent and sleeping bag for you. Our packing lists include more info as well as recommended items to bring.

    If you are biking with us, we will provide bikes and helmets. We do not provide gloves or cycling clothing or any other protective gear. 

    Our Outdoor Center in Songpan does have some basic items available for purchase as well as energy snacks and foods such as Clif Bars and granola bars.




    What about pure drinking water when traveling in Eastern Tibet?

    Adventure Access provides purified drinking water on all our activities by using Grayl UL Purifiers or the Grayl GEOPRESS. These units are part of the loaned equipment used on short tours and they are provided for guests to keep on longer tours. 

    All Tibetan towns have stores for purchasing bottled water as well. Please help us reduce dependency on single use plastic bottles!



    What about food when traveling with Adventure Access?

    All our itineraries indicate which meals are provided on the tour. Our guides can make recommendations for meals if they are not included. All towns have small grocery stores for purchasing snacks. If you have dietary restrictions please let us know. We can accommodate most special requests.



    Are there any cultural norms that we should be aware of when traveling in Tibetan regions?

    Yes, the Tibetan people dress in a modest way. It’s very common for them to wear pants all year long. For women, capris would be appropriate in the summer.

    In the warmer months, short sleeved shirts are fine, but strappy tank tops for women are not appropriate. This is especially around temples and monasteries, which are common in nearly all our trekking locations.



    What are the lodging accommodations in various Tibetan towns like?

    Accommodations vary from place to place. Adventure Access does not own any of the guesthouses we use in Eastern Tibet. Generally speaking, all accommodations we choose do include 24hr hot water, towels, and WiFi. Some towns have a broader range of options available.



    I live in China but my passport is at the PSB for visa renewal. Can I still go on a trip with Adventure Access?

    Yes. In normal circumstances, you can travel using the paper form provided by the PSB to travel. This is the form that has your photo, passport information, collection date, and the stamp from the PSB.